Thoughts of a Narcissistic Dutchman

Monday, July 31, 2006

Oppressive Heat and Automated Electric Companies

It's so hot, even the backs of my kneecaps are sweating.

Today was one of those days that comes with a check list of things to do. For the most part I was successful in accomplishing everything on my list: I shaved manually; finished and turned in grades; went to the dentist to get my permanent crown; returned to the university to change my mailing address and direct deposit information; had a blueberry doughnut; picked up the keys to my new apartment; took some measurements of my new place to see how many of my belongings can fit; called the electric company no fewer than eleven times in order to have the utility switched over to my name, only to be greeted every time by an automated voice telling me that all operators are currently busy and to please try again later; ate dinner; and made a pathetic game plan to get me through this week of moving and transitions.

Tomorrow I begin the process of moving in by purchasing renter's insurance from our local agent and then taking the "bare essentials" to the apartment -- items belonging to the kitchen and bathroom -- as well as a few random boxes. The rest will follow in some sort of disorganized fashion. I've got a decent view of an alley and the backs of several of Main Street's old, historic buildings. I'm also only half a block from the river. I like it; it gives me the illusion of big city life. My goal is to be entirely moved in by Saturday afternoon... maybe sooner if I can round up enough people and vehicles to move the bed, couch, dresser, and other more difficult items. I'll be sure to post pictures once I'm established.

Now I'm going to close this muggy day of perspiration by retiring to my air conditioned bedroom with a good book and a White Russian, thankful for the inovation of climate control, and even slightly appreciative of weather I presently despise, but will yearn for come January.

5 Comments:

  • I am impressed! You have so far kept to your blogging Mondays! (of course it has only been two weeks) Good luck with the move, I will be doing it soon enough. And I am currently in the process of sending you more pictures.

    By Blogger Maria, at 10:58 PM  

  • The soap is called wheel powder, and in bangla it is chaka. We also have Veem. I should find out the connection between wheel and soap.

    By Blogger Rebekah, at 7:24 AM  

  • hey it's been a couple mondays since then, where are my mondays mundane no more blogs???

    By Blogger Maria, at 7:51 PM  

  • Dammit, VanBuskirk, I thought you were going to do a better job of keeping up with your blog this time. But, alas, no; it seems that you've allowed grad school to take priority.

    By Blogger Kari, at 5:18 PM  

  • today is monday, busy boy

    By Blogger Rebekah, at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home