Thoughts of a Narcissistic Dutchman

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Tour de Midwest

What an interesting and exciting time the past several days have afforded me. To avoid repeating too much of Maweeah's Blog, I'll just offer a quick recap of my weekend. Last Friday I rose with the sun to practice a bit before my 9:30 piano lesson. After a fairly successful time of working with my teacher on the left hand fingering of "Be Thou My Vision" I returned home to ready myself for a fun-filled afternoon of Pizza Slutting. The cold, gray weather seemed to have affected the masses' appetites, as we were dead for a Friday lunch shift. I had three deliveries and made a whopping $2 in tips. Wee. I escaped the Hut around 5 and returned home where I laundered and ate while preparing for my trip to the land of blue grass and KFC with Joel to visit our good friend Maria Blough (bcblomea to some of you). I met Joel in Bluffton around midnight-ish, and we caught a few hours of shut eye before heading out for Kentucky around 7 Saturday morning.

We made excellent (yes Maria, I do say that a lot) time and completely avoided ANY road construction! As Maria stated, we had a great weekend full of delicious ethnic food, great theatrical entertainment, and enjoyable company. It was a great chance to visit with both Maria and Joel, as well as add a new state to my list -- yes, I had never been to Kentucky before, ha-hyuck! Louisville seems to be an amazing city, from what I was able to see of it. If no major opportunities arise in my life, perhaps I'll have to put some thought into getting to know the city a bit better by spending more time there...like Maria's one housemate continuously suggested :) Maybe she's onto something.

Sadly, we had to bid farewell to the Blah Monday morning when the time of our parting arrived. I am kicking myself for not stealing a couch cushion or ever climbing into the reading nook, but oh well. On the way home Joel and I stopped in Florence, Kentucky (who's water tower displays "Florence, y'alls") to dine at a Kentucky Fried Chicken. We were sad to find the Colonel not working that day. We then got back to Bluffton around 3 in the afternoon and ate, watched recorded episodes of Simpsons and Family Guy, and had an enjoyable somewhat-deep, semi-philosophical conversation that lasted an hour or three. It reminded me of why, and how much, I enjoyed having a roommate.

Upon arising this morning (Tuesday) I gathered my things and was about to leave for Kenton when Joel asked if I would be interested in riding with him to Iowa tomorrow. I think his brother is running in some cross-country race or something on Thursday, and since it is very easy for me to trade shifts at work, I was able to get someone to work my Thursday shift by closing tonight. So tomorrow afternoon we're driving to Iowa, we'll arrive sometime around 9 or 10pm, spend thursday eating squeaky cheese and watching little Koerner run, then leave Iowa Thursday night and drive all through the night to be back to Ohio in time for Joel to attend class and for me to go to work. I'm looking forward to the trip, and the spontaneity of it all makes me feel young and invincible. But anyway, it amuses me that between Monday noon and Wednesday 9pm I will have been in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa, and will have crossed both the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Have free time, will travel.

Oh, one more thing. Before heading to Iowa tomorrow, I will first be stopping in Findlay to accompany my friend Chani to her sentancing for her D.U.I. conviction. She wants me to erupt into a fit of hysteria when the judge bangs the gavel, screaming "Oh God, no!" inbetween sobs. We'll see if I'm able to summon tears at 8:30a.m. though. Oh well. I must now retire, seeing how I'm due in court in six hours.

Later.

2 Comments:

  • you take piano lessons?

    and, I enjoyed your blog. How was Iowa?

    By Blogger Maria, at 11:59 PM  

  • Yes, I started taking lessons back in July in an effort to stimulate my brain while living in Kenton and working a mindless job. I can play a couple hymns, the theme from Charlotte's Web, and a handful of little melodies one might find in an adult beginner book.

    We should probably play something together some day down the road.

    By Blogger Chadd, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home